In December 2017, Chillicothe City Council approved a Designated Outdoor Refreshment Area for downtown Chillicothe, as well as a designated hotel area on Bridge Street.
The measure gives downtown patrons the ability to “sip and stroll” during certain approved dates and hours.
Here’s what you need to know about Chillicothe’s DORA area in downtown:
What are the boundaries?
The DORA’s downtown boundaries are mostly Water Street, Walnut Street, West 2nd Street, Market Street, Main Street, and Mulberry Street, with a portion of East 4th Street also included. Paint Street from Water to East 4th is also included. The boundaries will be clearly marked with signs indicating “no alcoholic beverages past this point.” You can view a map of the boundaries and other information here.
What are the rules?
- DORA events are confined to those approved through a request granted by the City of Chillicothe. Specific hours, dates and boundaries apply. For more information on how to apply to get a DORA event approved, call 740-702-2722.
- Alcoholic drinks taken to go-to must be in specific cups or containers as provided by the bar/establishment participating in the DORA event. However, you cannot take an alcoholic beverage purchased at one liquor serving establishment into another liquor establishment.
- While the DORA provides for outside enjoyment of alcoholic drinks, all other state laws must be followed, including those regarding the consumption of alcoholic beverages (including the legal drinking age, etc.), as well as traffic and pedestrian laws.
- The Downtown Outdoor Refreshment Area can only be enjoyed within the boundaries, which are marked by posted signs.
- Drinks must be purchased from participating businesses only. No cans, no glass, and no alcoholic beverages purchased outside the boundaries are permitted.
- All drinks must be in a specific DORA cup. Each bar/establishment will have a specific color of cup for their offerings.
- Each business that does not sell or offer alcohol has the right to decide whether they will allow alcohol inside their business. Please be respectful of our businesses.
What are the hours?
The hours are set at the time of approval. Chillicothe’s DORA allows only for specific hours during specific events. Note: The City of Chillicothe has approved DORA 24/7 until the end of 2020.
As always …
- Be kind to the downtown. Please put your trash in one of the many downtown trash receptacles and report any problems as soon as you see them.
- Enjoy the DORA responsibly. Know your limits and have a designated driver to help you get home safely.
- Call us at 740-702-2722 with any questions.